Your wedding ceremony is the crux of your entire wedding day. Whether you’re eloping on a mountaintop, getting married at City Hall, throwing a party for your closest friends and family, or hosting a five-day Indian wedding event, you’re going to have some kind of ceremony to make it official. Once you’ve gathered all your friends and family together to watch you tie the knot there are some fun ways for you to jazz up the ceremony time and make it more engaging for everyone involved.
- Open your bar 30 minutes before the ceremony. There’s nothing better than starting off the celebration right with a little bit of wine or champagne before your ceremony begins. This projects a fun atmosphere and gives your guests something to do with their hands while they’re listening to the vows and speeches. This is a particularly awesome idea in the summer when the weather is hot and the sun may still be high in the sky during your event.
- Forgo the assigned seating. Instead of separating your guests into sides, have everyone mingle together during the ceremony and sit with anyone they like. This gets people talking to one another and creating relationships before the reception. It’s a great opportunity for your friends and family to commingle and it represents the beautiful coming together of both of your lives.
- Perform traditions that are special to you and your partner’s religious or ethnic background. Your ceremony should be all about who you are as people, and there’s no better way to show that than by throwing in some traditions that are meaningful to your families and/or your cultures. With a wide array of ceremony styles and traditions to choose from, this is a great way to show your guests something new about the two of you and make your ceremony even more meaningful.
- Perform personal vows. There is quite literally nothing more emotional or romantic than watching two people pour their heart out to each other right in front of you. It’s also an incredibly special and romantic moment to speak directly to the person you love and tell them just how much they mean to you. You’ll be sure to keep your guests attention as well as their eyes watering.
- Choose a beautiful ceremony backdrop. This could mean a lot of different things. You could find a venue with a sprawling landscape that is gorgeous on its own or you can take a standard space and make it incredible with floral, paper flowers, or any other type of arch decor. It will give your guests something to focus on prior to you getting there and it will frame you and your partner perfectly throughout the event.
- Add an element of surprise. Keeping your ceremony fresh and fun in conjunction with the emotional content can be a huge win on your day. Let your chosen speakers choose their own quotes that you haven’t heard prior to the wedding. Write private notes to one another and read them out loud on the day. Allow your officiant to completely play in the ceremony without confirming every line with you. Not only will this keep it interesting to your guests, but to you and your partner as well.
- Keep the length reasonable. As important as this moment is in representing your lifelong commitment to one another, even your closest friends and family don’t want to be sitting idle for too terribly long. Your guests are there to celebrate with you and it’s difficult to do when you’re standing way up at the alter in front of them for 30... 40... 50 minutes. While you should never compromise what you want on your day for anyone, this is just a friendly reminder that there will be other people to think about when planning your time frame.